Jacob F. Guinther1864–
- Jacob F. Guinther
- Given names
- Jacob F.
from "History of Crawford Co, OH 1881" p932
JACOB F. GUINTHER, a representative farmer, who owns and operates 143 acres of land, 53 of which are located in Marion county and the balance in Crawford county, was born on the homestead farm on which he still lives, March 20, 1864. His parents were Jacob and Catherine (Shalenmiller) Guinther, the former of whom was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, and the latter in Lycoming county, Pa. Both are now deceased and are buried in Sherer cemetery.
Jacob Guinther was a farmer during the time he spent in this country. He was a Democrat in politics and attended the German Reformed church. He and his wife were the parents of the following children: Mary, the wife of George K. Ulmer; John George; Sophia, deceased; Catherine, wife of Samuel Rexroth; Isaac C. ; Charlotte, wife of S. J. Stump; and Jacob F., the subject of this article, who was the youngest born.
Jacob F. Guinther received a common school education and then ,vent to work on the farm where he has spent his entire life. His father died when he was 20 years of age. After the death of his parents, he bought the farm from the other heirs and here he carries on general farming.
On Dec. 5, 1889, Mr. Guinther married Jennie Nungesser, a daughter of Christian and Elizabeth (Helfrich) Nungesser. Her father was born in Germany where he learned the shoemaker's trade. Upon coming to the United States he located first in Cincinnati, but later moved to New Winchester, Crawford county, and purchased a farm of 131 acres in Whetstone township, which he still owns. He and his wife live retired at Galion. They belong to the German Lutheran church. Their children, besides Mrs. Guinther, are as follows: Delilah (Mrs. Isaac A. Cook) ; Margaret, widow of H. P. Rexroth; and Melancthon G.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob F. Guinther have had the following children : Edith Catherine, Ruth E., Laura M., and Clara M.
Mr. Guinther has served as township assessor for two years and township trustee for six years. They attend St. John's Reformed church.